Sunday, November 14, 2010

Fall - My Favorite Time of Year

I would have to say that the fall is my favorite time of year. It starts with summer like temperatures and green leaves, changes to cooler temperatures and blazing oranges, fiery yellows, and brilliant reds, then ends with cold winds and stark, skeletal trees, and a blanket of brown leaves on the ground. Not to mention today could be a sunny 70°, tonight it could drop into the 20’s, then snow or rain and 40° tomorrow. By far it creates the most dramatic change in the world around us, at least in the Northern states.

If you are a deer hunter, as I am, this time of year has an even bigger hold on you than most. You start the season out hitting the trails and backcountry in search of the elusive Whitetail’s habitats, making fake scrapes and rubs to draw in that monster 14 point buck everyone swears to have seen in your area, setting up stands to give you optimum use of the ever changing winds, and turning your practice target into something resembling a pin cushion. The middle of the season is spent in a tree stand or still hunting along that heavily traveled draw, either way you, the hunter, have the opportunity to see every bit of the color phase the trees will be going through. Then you close the season out by sitting in a deer blind watching the quiet snow flakes slowly drift down to the ground to mark the beginning of winter and all the activities that go along with it.

Like I said before, it is my favorite time to be alive. In fact I enjoy the season so much I named my daughter Autumn! It was truly a coincidence that she was born on the first day of the archery deer season, though I like to tell my wife that she, Autumn, did not want dad to have to miss any of the prime hunting that occurs further in the month. No matter what the reason, hunting, hiking, camping, fishing, sports, or just having a fire in the backyard to roast marshmallows and drink warm cider or hot cocoa, fall is a great time to get outside and live!

No comments:

Post a Comment